Monday, August 2, 2010

Is the pendulum winding down?

If you've been in IT long enough, you've probably heard someone observe that, for as long as there have been computers, there has been a long, slow pendulum swing between centralized and distributed computing paradigms. From mainframes, to remote terminals, to timesharing, to PCs, to client/server, to mobile devices, to cloud computing -- the pendulum has been easy to discern, though much harder to explain.

I've just published a new article in Tech News World to explain why I think cloud computing will soon cause the pendulum to stop swinging once and for all.  Even though I published it elsewhere, I'd be interested in any comments my blog readers might have.

1 comment:

  1. I think the basic substantive notions are right. They're well known and there's more details for some audiences but the basic points are right. The rhetoric - the pendulum thing - is a tiny bit, um, pardon but over the top. Too much drama on too thin a premise.

    I think you underestimate, a lot, two things: (1) the amount of "new" there is to be had in this space -- I mean pretty deeply new; (2) the why-cloud-ain't-paradise angle along the lines of how a national power grid is damn nice to have but, if you've means and a brain, don't rely on it.

    ReplyDelete